Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Openness and educational resources in a business context


In my practice as a teacher I wanted to have as much of my material in open spaces as possible. That was party because I wanted my students and their parents to be able to take part of it anytime and anywhere, but also because I wanted other teachers to be able to use my material if they wanted. As teachers we tend to invent the wheel over and over again, and I know first-hand how much easier your job gets when you can get inspired by how others have done, or just plain use someone else’s material. By sharing my work it became part of other teachers’ personal learning environment and I became part of their personal learning network, as Kay Oddone puts it in her blog post about PNE PLN, LMS and ONL. Funnily enough, this has led to my children sometimes hearing my voice on their iPad when doing homework by watching a video their teachers assigned.

Universities are opening up course after course, and people are taking them! As Martin Weller states in chapter 1 in The Battle for Open, as early as 2011 a course on AI attracted 160 000 learners. Since I’m not teaching anymore, but instead producing e-learning for companies and organisations, I’ve learned that they have very different approaches to sharing the productions online. A.W. Bates discusses openness in education in Teaching in a Digital Age, and one of the trends we see in the EdTech business as well is in fact openness – and the reasons for this seem to be different for different companies.

Sometimes sharing is about attracting employees, because if a company makes some of their e-learning public it shows potential employees that they care about employee development and learning. It also enables employees to take part in company learning from basically anywhere, which as you may recall was one of my reasons for making my content as a teacher open to everyone.

Now, when a company e-learning is open for everyone, the LMS gets another type of functionality. Some companies solves this by putting e-learning outside the LMS, and tests and certifications inside the LMS. That way they still know which employees have the knowledge they need.

Some companies seem to view openness as an issue of goodwill. In making knowledge accessible to everyone they simply look good.

And of course there are companies which are driven by a moral view of knowledge as something that should be accessible to everyone regardless of economical or geographical preconditions. If more people have more knowledge, the world becomes a better place.

Open courses in higher education is indeed different than the open courses companies publish. When it comes to the courses I produce I never have any interaction with the learners, only with the stakeholders and subject matter experts. Even the blended learning courses I produce leaves the learner interactions to a teacher, I simply produce the material they use.

In some ways I miss learner interaction, and I hope that eventually I will find an employer where I can do both!

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

My digital identity

How do one present oneself for a course like this? What is relevant for people to know? My personal identity, my professional identity, or my digital identity?  Even though my personal identity might be interesting for people, it doesn't feel like it should be my first priority. I'm not sure how much I would like to share yet, so I guess that part of me is off the table for now. My professional identity is probably a bit more relevant, but it's closely tied to my digital identity and I can't really tell you about one without mentioning the other. So, for this post, I'll focus on the digital identity. I would say that using Prensky's typology I'd be considered a digital immigrant . I wasn't born into the digital world like digital natives , because it didn't really exist the way it does now. But when I read about how the difference between digital natives and digital immigrants might manifest itself, like how immigrants turn to the interne

Blogging as an educator

One of the issues we discussed in our group during the first topic was how to approach blogging as an educator. I've worked as a teacher for 17 years, all of which I've used webpages and blogs for different purposes. I would like to share some of my thoughts about this. On how to approach blogging as an educator: Define the purpose of the blog . Is it to inform students of homework, assignments and important tests? Is it a part of your lessons used to flip the classroom or give assignments that they work with during classes? Are the students supposed to just read the blog or are they supposed to interact with you and each other in the comment sections? Or are it just a way of documenting what you do in class so their parents can follow their work? Look at other teacher blogs . What are they doing that inspires you? How are they using the tool? Practise make perfect. Before launching your blog, make a few posts just to familiarise yourself with the tool. If you

Building trust in blended learning

In my line of work, as an e-learning designer in the corporate world, I seldom get the opportunity to teach in the more traditional context. What I do is mostly creating a product for people to learn from on their own, without the help of a teacher. I do however have an agreement for cooperation with a company which wants me to produce a blended learning course in the next few months, and chances are I will also be facilitating the online meetings for them and possibly teach some during the IRL sessions. Topic 4 gave me inspiration and highlighted a few things that I will make sure to incorporate in my course. One of the ideas behind the course that the company wants me to make a blended learning version of, is to create a community. When the participants have passed the examination and gets their certificate, they also get access to this community. This means that a learning network is already in place once they are ready - but I as a course producer and facilitator also have to est